- Selected “Best Books of Summer 2019” by LA Weekly. “Fascinating and fun, Sun Seekers thoroughly chronicles the far-out history of California’s holistic-minded denizens and the lasting resonance of their quests for alternative modes of sustenance and environmental bliss.”
- Los Angeles Times: “Content and design conspire to create a fascinating picture, by turns charming and chilling, of other times that continue to echo through this place.”
- Washington Post: “While she focuses on the past, Kilston suggests compelling comparisons between gurus such as Lovell and today’s health fads.”
- Los Angeles Review of Books: “There’s so much there, and it’s so fascinating […] Lyra spins fascinating tales that will challenge your understanding of L.A. history”
- KCRW’s DNA with Frances Anderton: “Kilston sets the stage for Southern California’s emergence as a center of kooky cures and cults…”
- Curbed.com: “Excellent [..] Kilston’s book deftly connects the myriad threads between European health fads, early modernist architecture, and the synthesis of both in the high-end homes that began to stack up on Los Angeles hillsides.”
- Daily Dose of Architecture Books: “highly enjoyable.”
Sun Seekers: The Cure of California can be ordered here.
Please support independent publishers and order from the lovely folks at Atelier Éditions. Thank you!
Video of the making of the book, by SYL L’art grafic in Barcelona: